Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Checklist




Any of you that know me know that I am a list person and I love to check things off my list as I get them done!! I am actually quite obsessed with it. So of course I made a checklist of things that need to get done before the baby arrives. There is a long one for me but there was only a short one for Ben.

1. Move into big boy bed - DONE! That was easy. He took to his new bed right away with no problems. So our list was looking good.

2. Potty Training - NOT DONE! So we have read all the books and decided we were going to try "potty training in a day." It is supposed to be full proof. The deal is you load the kid up with juice and then they have to pee all day. Then you put them in underwear and let them go. It did not work for Ben. He is a stubborn little boy and wants to do things his own way so that is not the way he wanted to learn to use the potty. We had 14 accidents in 5 hours (yep 14). So we gave up on that. The new goal is to let him do it on his own. He will go potty when other people are at our house or when one of his friends goes potty so he can do it he is just being stubborn. I am hoping with school starting he will feel the pressure. And I will get it done!!!

3. Getting rid of "my" (his paci) - DONE!!!!!! This is the one we were dreading. The plan was to do it last so that he could get through all the other stuff first but it happened over the weekend. We were down to 1 paci and I swore I wouldn't get any more. We left his one and only at a restaurant on Friday night. We realized it on the way home so I stopped an picked up another one but we thought we would try telling him it was gone. When he laid down to go to bed he asked for it and Matt told him it was gone. You should have heard the wail. It was the most pitiful, mournful wail I have ever heard. Both Matt and I were crying. But Ben did ok. He cried for about 1 minute and then just settled in and went to sleep. He woke up asking for it in the morning and we reminded him it was gone. And he has done great!!!! 5 days now and he doesn't ask for it. He is sleeping great at night. He is not napping as well but we are working on that! I thought this one would be the worst on the list but it didn't turn out to bad. We are so proud of him and what a big boy he is

So 2 out of 3 down on Ben's checklist. Not bad at all for a 2 year old!! : )

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

hey girl! sounds like he is doing great! we did the bed switch this weekend and its going great so far too! maybe being around the boys for a few days at the beach will encouarge ben to use the potty more too!!!!! we can't wait!

LeeAnn said...

I am so excited for you that you have 2 down, 1 to go!!! I feel like it was just yesterday we were talking about the to-do list before baby girl gets here.