Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten & A Letter

Today was the big day!!!  My sweet little guy headed off to his first day of kindergarten.  Last night we had a sweet time of prayer over Ben for his school year.  This morning it was up early to get his lunch packed.  
 And make a big breakfast for his first day.  Must have bacon!!!
 We had to take our traditional chair picture.  Can't believe how big he is.
 And of course that traditional front porch picture.  I love the fun new signs I found.
He was excited to take a special present to his new teacher.  
 Had to get a picture with my kindergartner 
 We are so thankful Matt was able to take the morning off and help with all the fun.
 We headed up to the school.  I LOVE this picture!!  We were worried about the traffic but we easily got in.
 He sat right down in the hall with his class and started talking with his new friends.  He was so excited.  He just waved good-bye to us.
What a special morning it was.  Such a major milestone for us.  No tears were shed by anyone surprisingly (I was not worried about Ben crying but me).  How could I cry when I know he is right where he is supposed to be!

I thought I would write down some of my feelings about it in a letter to my boy.

Dear Firstborn on Your First Day of School,

As a mom, this is one of the days that I have dreaded since the day you were born.  But along with that dread also comes a lot of excitement.  We have been entrusted with an amazing gift from God. I remember holding my sweet little baby and thinking I would never ever let you go.

Our job as parents is to make sure that we raise you to be the man God has created you to be.  Up until today, we have had total control over that.  Things changed as you left for school this morning.  We have to turn some of our control back over to God.  I have often heard it said that as a parent your goal is to work yourself out of a job.  Today we began that long process of loosing our job!

You are so ready for this big step.  Your kindness and compassion amaze me everyday. My prayer for you is that these characteristics just grow as you start school.  I am excited for all of the new things you will learn and how much you will grow.  I also pray that as you experience new things it will increase your knowledge and faith in God.

You are going to make so many new friends.  I pray that they will be a positive influence in your life and that you can impact them as well.  This part is scary to me but I know that this is part of God's plan for your life.

All of the details have worked out perfectly for the school situation for you this year.  We know you are right where God wants you.  We are excited to see how He uses you this year.

Your Daddy and I love you so much!!  We are so proud of you,
Mommy


0 comments: