Monday, July 13, 2009

Big Boy Room

We have had some room movement going on in the Eckley house over the past few weeks. About 3 weeks ago we put up Ben's new big boy bed in his new room for him to try out. We were very apprehensive about how he would do in a big bed. I had read horror stories on other blogs about weeks and weeks of finding kids roaming the house when they transitioned to big beds. Those fears were all unfounded. Ben did awesome in the transition!! He loves his new bed. He got up only a couple of times the first night but since then he has done great. He was sad to leave his crib at first and would cry for his "baby bed" but he is now in love with his big boy bed!

Since the move to the big bed went so well, we decided to go ahead and finish up his new room. I have been planning this room since I think he was 9 months old. I picked out the bedding at Pottery Barn over a year ago since it was on sale. One of friends asked what I was going to do if he didn't like trains and I said "he will like trains - I will make sure of it!" Kids this age are so gullible so I just made him like trains since I knew that was going to be his big boy room. We had the room painted several months ago and when I first walked in and saw the blue I started crying. It looked so grown up. It is not a baby blue. It is sort of sad to give up all his baby stuff! But he loves his room and all we have done with it!!!! He is so proud of it and shows it to everyone that comes into the house. I think it turned out perfect!

Here is what it looks like from the doorway.


Here is his big boy bed. This bed is over 60 years old. My grandfather actually made the bed as part of a set of bunk beds for my uncles. We have a second matching one to go with it. My brother slept in it when he was young so Ben is the 3rd generation to sleep in the bed. Ben's favorite part of the room is the 4 train pictures hanging over the side of the bed. He lays in bed talking about them at night.
Here is his nightstand. Funny story about the night stand. My mom picked it up several years ago on the side of the road. Yep free off the side of the road!! We have actually gotten a bunch of furniture and other things off the side of the road. It amazes me what people will throw away!

Speaking of things thrown away. Note the very cute Anywhere Chair from Pottery Barn Kids. Yep, that also came from the side of the road. It had a different cover on it but the insides were great so we just had to order a slipcover to match the room. But it was a $60 inside that we didn't have to buy. Amazing that someone would throw it away. You can sell it people or give it away.

Fun train decorations!



His new chest. I still haven't moved over his clothes from his old room but will soon. This chest was my brother's as well when he was little.
Well that is Ben's new "Big Boy Room" He loves it and I hope you enjoy seeing the pictures. I love how it turned out. And the best thing was I was adding up how much it all cost and since we used lots of leftover furniture and things found on the side of the room I think the whole room cost about $250 to redo. Not too bad if I do say so myself! The nursery is still set up next door and I guess I will start working on redoing it next week when we find out if the baby is a boy or girl!

5 comments:

Cabra said...

It looks so great!! It also makes me want to cry thinking about doing that for Hunter one day. Can't they just stay babies a little longer?!

Anonymous said...

It looks AWESOME! We will be turning Gabe's nursery into a big boy room soon too :). {hugs} Jess

LeeAnn said...

Love it!!

Lindsey said...

So cute! I, too, was freaked out about moving mine out of cribs...especially with the two of them in there together!!! Thankfully for all of us, they did great just like Ben. Now my biggest problem is convincing them they actually CAN get out of their beds to potty! Ha!

Jesse and Lacey said...

It looks fabulous! I love the color blue you used! Hope you are feeling better these days!

Lacey