Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Tour of Homes - Kitchen & Breakfast Area

It is time for the second installment of the summer tour of homes.  This week it is all about the kitchen.  Our kitchen really is in the center of our house.  It is right in the middle of the house and open to everything.  I wasn't sure if I would like having such and open kitchen but it is great.  I can be cooking and be right with the kids when the are playing.  It also makes me clean the kitchen often since it is seen as soon as you walk in the house!  Here are several views from around the kitchen.  It is pretty basic nothing really spectacular.  I love our granite counter tops!  They hide everything!  The cabinets are also great.  They are a very warm color and really look nice.  If I could change one thing it would be the stainless appliances.  They are really hard to keep clean with little fingers.  Since the kitchen is pretty much appliances and cabinets I haven't done much decorating. 
 I LOVE the island!  It is such a great place to work on.  The kitchen flows really well since it is sort of circular. 

 I do have some fun things on the counter tops.  We were given several pieces of Vicki Carroll pottery as wedding gifts and I have really enjoyed having it in our kitchen.  I pull out different colors from the pieces to accent with.  My favorite right now is purple!
 I made a dry erase board to write our weekly memory verse on. 

I like to keep the counters pretty clutter free! 
We do have a small bar area with 2 stools that is nice to have people sit at when we need overflow from the table or when I am cooking to have someone visit without being in the way!
You enter the kitchen from the garage so I created a little "mudroom" area.  There is not much room at all so I have a little bench for the kids to sit on to take off shoes and then a place for them to hang their bags.  It is perfect for the little space.   I got both the bench and hooks at Pottery Barn. 
 My favorite part is the recently redone breakfast room.  It is so bright and cheerful.  I love how well it blends with the other rooms around it.  It is a really comfortable space.  We eat all of our meals at this table.  Very rarely do we use the dining room.  We can seat up to 8 at this table so it usually even works when we have guests.  I got the table and hutch at a garage sale.  One of my best finds ever!

The green wall and clock are probably one of my favorite things in the house!  They just make me happy!
I also love the bench and curtain.  The bench was made by my grandfather in the 50's and my mom sat on it as a little girl and then my brother and I sat on it growing up.  I love that my kids now get to sit on it as well. 
This is the hutch that is the breakfast area.  It is so functional because it holds all my cookbooks and linens!  I love this piece. 
Well, that's our kitchen.  It is perfect for us because it is so functional but also a great place for us to have friends and family over. 

6 comments:

Gauger Family said...

cute kitchen. I love the painted clock on the wall!

Christa said...

Love your clock!

Linda said...

Very nice...and I love the green you have chosen for the eating area!

Great island...and such pretty granite!

And I also love the color of the cabinets and flooring!

Blissful and Wishful said...

I love the layout and it looks so inviting. Thanks for sharing!

Natasha said...

I love your clock! And I have the table my great-grandparents bought and I am so glad to have these pieces so I understand how you feel about your bench.

Harikesh Chauhan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.