Monday, August 19, 2013

First Day of School 2013

Well, we survived the first day of school!  It is always an exciting day and an overwhelming day at the same time.  Nothing like a new start and a new schedule to make you excited.  I try not to get sad at milestones and new adventures for my kids.  I could believe me but I choose to focus on the fact that they are growing and changing and that is a very good thing!  My goal as a mom is to grow up little people to love Jesus.  Each new milestone in their life is an opportunity for me to work more towards this goal.  So today they both took new and big steps towards that.  

We started our day with the traditional first day of school breakfast.  A little over everyone's favorite things.  
 We started a tradition last year of getting them a little key chain to hang on their back pack zipper.  It is a way we can show a little extra love throughout the year.  Kate got a Rapunzel one and Ben got a Lego Ninjago (golden ninja that he was super excited about).

 Then it was time for the traditional first day photos in the green chair with their new backpacks.  Can't believe this is the 7th year of taking these photos!



 Then on to the front porch for more first day photos!  (oh a side note - Ben learned to tie his shoes last week so it was so exciting for him to get ready all by himself.  No help at from mom at all)







 First up was drop off for Ben.  As we were getting out of the car, Ben said "you don't have to walk me in mom.  I'm ok."  I told him it wasn't for him but it was for me.
 He was so excited to be on the first grade hall!  Such big stuff.
 His teacher this year is Mrs. Stokes.  She is awesome and we are so excited Ben gets to be in her class.  He has several friends from his class last year in his class and lots of new friends.  It is going to be a great year!!
 Next drop off was at Kate's school.  She has been begging for weeks to go back to school so she practically ran in when we got to the parking lot!  She had to give hugs to Mrs. Norma and Mrs. Lori which is a tradition.
 Her teacher this year is Mrs. Grove.  It is going to be a really fun year for Kate.  I know she is going to learn a lot and just have a blast!
I enjoyed a quiet house to myself before going to pick everyone back up from school.  All reports were that the day went great.  They were full of new and exciting stories.  Ben did say the day was only so-so because they couldn't go outside on the playground due to rain.  Playground time is important!  We celebrated the day with a cookie cake.
What a fun day it was!  We know God has big plans for both kiddos this year.  They are right where they need to be we are certain of that.  Our prayer is that they continue to grow in knowledge - not only book knowledge but knowledge of the Savior.  May they bring Him glory!!

1 comments:

Jamye said...

So sweet! I, of course, LOVE Kate's dress! Ben is pretty handsome too! :)