Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gift Giving

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11

Those of you who know me very well know that giving is not one of my strong points. For much of my life, I have struggled with giving away things (money, gifts, etc.). I have seen such a huge change in my life in the last few years. God has really been working to in me to give me a heart that is giving (and if you can believe it a heart that actually enjoys giving). I think becoming a mom has changed my heart in this way so greatly. When I look at Ben I just want to give him the world!! Anything and everything should be his. I walk through Walmart and I want to buy every toy there and give it to him.

This past Saturday, I got up early and went garage selling. It was the big garage sale here in our neighborhood. I only had $26 as I headed out. I really didn't need anything but I just thought I would check it out. I came back 2 hours later with no money and a car full of toys (and I mean full to the top - I could not have gotten one more thing in the car). I only bought things for Ben. Every house that I stopped I found something that he just "had to have." I even begged one lady to take a check so I could buy Ben a great Christmas present (I got a great deal on Little People!). I was so excited and couldn't wait to get home to give Ben some of the things that I had gotten (don't worry I did save most of them for Christmas

Then it hit me as I remembered the verse above. I finally understood it for the first time. Just like I spent all morning searching and seeking the perfect toys to give Ben, that is what Our Father wants to do for us (but He is even better at it than we are)!! He wants to give us the world but we don't let him! He has so much for us but we limit Him. It was just a very powerful and humbling thought! Thank you Lord for loving me that much and thanks for working in me to give me a giving heart.

I thought I would share one of my favorite finds from the garage sales... A Cozy Coupe car. I remember these when I was little and I always wanted one. Ben loves playing with them a friend's houses and at church. I was so excited to give it to him. He LOVES it!! He played with it all Saturday morning and then Sunday when we went out to the garage he started squealing. I could tell he was excited that it was still there! I guess he thought he was only going to have it for the day. He is so cute in it because he can only go backwards!


1 comments:

Cabra said...

so neat that he squeeled with excitement!! i can't believe you did so well at the yard sales. wondering what time you started because we drove through around 7:30 but all the toys were already in everyone's cars and trucks!