Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Horrible!!!

Horrible!! That is the only word that I can use to describe today and the 4 year old check up. I had been warned but other mothers and by the doctor himself but I didn't really prepare myself. First off the only available time for months was at 2 pm on a school day for both kids. Not a good plan. But I figured I am super mom so I can do it (ha ha that is full of sarcasm). And it actually worked out ok. Kate napped in the car between school and the doctor and Ben watched a movie. Then came the torture. I had warned Ben we were going and it might involve shots. The minute we pulled into the parking lot he started crying. Ok you have to remember this is the boy that used to get shots and just look at the nurse. He never shed a tear when he got a shot for the first 2 years of his life. It just was not a big deal. But he has gotten over that in a big way. He cried the whole way into the office. Thank goodness for the iphone because that got him to stop. He did great with the doctor. He weighed 40 pounds and was 42 inches tall. I got to answer yes to all of those developmental questions (because that is every mother's goal). Well, except they asked if he knew his phone number and address. Didn't know he needed to know that. And what phone number do I teach him? We have about 4. Anyway I digress. Dr. P said he looked great. Only concerns are his eyes and speech and we are getting help with those so all is well. Then it was shot time!!! Oh my goodness. 5 shots!!!!! Lots of screaming and tears and then the nurse came in to actually give him the shots. I had to physically hold him down kicking and screaming. It was miserable. I was crying as well. I don't know who it was more painful for - him or me. But we made it through somehow. He then cried and carried on for several more minutes until a nurse offered him a sucker and then all was well. I also got him a cupcake and Granna took him to Sonic. After all that he is going to be wanting shots everyday if you ask me. Thankfully that is the end of shots for him until 2019!! YEA!!!! I already told Matt he is taking Kate to the 4 year check up! Here is my little man showing off his band - aids. Don't you love those little eyes peaking out from behind him!

1 comments:

Karen Parden said...

Oh man. You always go through these yearly appointments right before I do, so I'm glad to have your... um... experience? Lol. I guess I'm going to have to teach Anna her address and phone number before we go!