Tuesday, March 8, 2011

When Kids Attack

So have you heard of the show "When Animals Attack." We had our own version yesterday only it involved children. I ran into Walmart to grab something really quick so I was just holding Kate. I stopped to look at something and I think she was reaching out to grab it but instead she caught the inside of my eye. It was instant blinding pain. I could not see anything. I went into total panic mode because I was standing in Walmart holding Kate and I could not see anything. Probably a mother's worst fear. I was able to hold onto her and not drop her thankfully. I was then able to get sight back in the eye that she didn't get enough to find my phone and make some calls. I called my father-in-law to come pick up Kate. Then I called my amazing friend Jennifer. She is the best eye doctor and friend that I know!! She dropped everything and came and picked me up in the Walmart parking lot. At this point I still couldn't see out of my eye and was it horrible pain. She drove me to her office and checked it. Kate had managed to give me a corneal abrasion 5 mm by 5mm. That is about 75% of the cornea. It was rather large to say the least. Hence the pain and lack of vision. Jennifer had to go in and pull of some ragged skin on my eye (I know you wanted to hear that). She put a bandage contact on my eye and gave me tons of drops. Then she drove me home!! (She is the best - if you need an eye doctor in town go to her). Last night it was quite painful most of the night but I made it through.

Today it is doing much better. I went back to see Dr. Jennifer and it has healed up to 3.5 mm. She had to clean it out again and put another bandage contact on it. Still painful and can't see out of the left eye but getting better. Right now we are praying it doesn't get infected (that is why I have so many drops). I will have to go back everyday until it is healed and we are sure there is no infection. So I am down for the count right now. Not fun! But hopefully it will get better each day.

If I didn't know better I would say Kate had it out for me. But really it was just an accident! I will not make you look at any bad pictures of me with a swollen eye. I don't have a patch. Matt was really sad I was not a pirate. I just wear sunglasses all the time. Like I even sleep in them. And pretty much keep my eyes closed at all times.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh my goodness!!! that is awful! we will be praying for you....pretty bad timming, huh?

Karen Parden said...

Holy moly. You can give Kate grief about that for her whole life now. HA! Praying you feel better soon!

Amanda said...

Oh my word! That is so scary. We are praying for you!

Simplicity By Christy said...

Been there and done that girly and I know that pain! Noah done that for me. It is so very painful! Get better soon!